The Adventures of Jen

This is your life - are you who you want to be?

Sunday, May 06, 2007

goodbye sweet vacation...back to the grind

so tomorrow is work. ugh. im 24 and i want to retire. but i guess ill suck it up and get back to it.

golden week was good. i had a great kanazawa adventure.. here it is for you

i left nagoya by bus on wednesday morning. i arrived in kanazawa around 2 and i found my hotel. i checked in (keep in mind.. i spoke almost only japanese the whole time i was in kanazawa.) i dropped my stuff off in my room and then ventured out for some sightseeing time. walked all around and then it was rainy so i headed back to my room. from there, i gathered the courage to go eat dinner....by myself. ive never gone to a restaurant and eatenby myself, but i did it. i found a ramen shop and ate ramen. then i came back and got my marathon stuff ready, read, watched tv and went to sleep. then i woke up maybe around 11pm to an.....EARTHQUAKE! i freaked out (i was on the 10th floor and the building was shaking) i ran to the window hahah and of course saw nothing. so then i went back to sleep


then i woke up at 5, packed my stuff, checked out of the hotel, coin lockered my stuff at the station and headed over to the marathon start. let me just start by saying, i love the kanazawa marathon.

i was a celebrity! i was the only foreigner out of 500 people. there were all different races, 5k 10k 20k 30k and my 42.195k. i ended up getting a gift and presented at the opening ceremony. hahah i got 4 pairs of running socks and a nice running shirt! then the marathon started. it was up and down the river 4 times and there werent so many fans at all (maybe 5 or so haha) but it was the most fun race ever. i met a couple of people (old people friends) and talked to them for a long time during the race. what an encouragement. i was even invited to go visit them this summer. i also met and talked to a 68 year old man who has run 255 marathons. he just completed running all 43 prefectures in japan and he has run a marathon on all 7 continents... yes...even the north pole. he ran the boston marathon like 3 times. he wants to run 300 marathons by the time he is 70. and 400 by the time hes 80. seriously, 80 percent of the marathon was old men. japanese old people dont just sit around or golf... they stinkin run marathons. how crazy is that???

i finished in 4h31 minutes! i felt great! i paced myself! i ran for fun. i enjoyed running. i got sunbrned and had an ipod white spot tan line.



after the marathon i came back to nagoya and then went home. i felt great.

friday i met a friend in town and hung out all day. it was fun. then saturday i went to morning set and lunch with a few friends, then i met some other friends and we had a good old time shopping, laughing and eating pizza.

sunday we woke up and went to church and lunch then i cut my hair and then watched greys anatomy.

now im gonna go physch myself up to think about going back to work tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At May 07, 2007 2:09 PM, Blogger Bob Gall said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At May 07, 2007 2:10 PM, Blogger Bob Gall said...

Jen, congrats!! Maybe you can do 400 marathons before YOU reach age 80. Better get started!!

Bob Gall

 
At May 08, 2007 6:46 AM, Blogger Cara said...

Hi Jen! What a fun story. I wish I had more stories like that here haha. You have fun in everything! I'm proud of you for your marathons! I was gonna do a little 10k next Thursday :) but the time it starts, I don't know if I could make it to work in the afternoon. Bummer! I wanna do a race. Especially because its so cheap! 7 Euros for the half marathon here. It costs so much more in the US! I wonder if you still get a free tshirt... I miss you

 
At May 13, 2007 3:52 PM, Blogger Siegfried Slayer said...

Glad you won a prize at the marathon ! Keep it up !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home