The Adventures of Jen

This is your life - are you who you want to be?

Friday, January 12, 2007

peer pressure

whens the last time you gave in to peer pressure? for me it was today. I was at the gym, minding my own business, stretching after running 8 km. and all of a sudden 4 - 65 year old women started talking to me. not just a nice little chat, but they wanted to to join the step aerobics class that was starting in 3 minutes. i told them that it was too hard, and they replied " japanese study!" and then they asked the class instructor if it was ok. she said yes, and the women shoved me in the room. at least they put themselved around me, the only downfall was, i was front and center. yeah thats right. front and center. everyone was talking to me and wondering how in the world i was going to participate. i just said "its ok" and we started the class.

(just a side note, i am pretty sure im the most uncordinated aerobics person when the directions are in english...so lets combine that with japanese instructions and see what happens.)

one good skill ive learned since ive been in japan is to just not care about what others think of me, and who cares if i look like an idiot. well its a good thing ive been getting used to it, cause today was FUNNY! I went left they went right. i went up, they went down, i went 3 times they went 4. i put my hand up at the wrong time and ithink i only was on track about 50 percent of the time. the other 50 percent, i was looking like a fool. but after class, the instructor and i just laughed and then all the onld women came up to say "good job for your first time!" "next week" and random other things i didnt understand.

i actually think i may try it again, but next time ill go in the back... you know, its just funny. imagine 25 old japanese women and me in a step aerobics class. you know you smile thinking about it.


and on to other things. this week wasnt the easiest. it was rough being back in the japan and back to work. i had such a great time in france and i really wanted to stay longer. it was fun seeing all my friends and hanging out all the time. but alas, im back in the land of the rising sun.

things i did while i was in france. I spent the first day in paris with my friend olivia. we went to a museum and dinner. caught the train to geneva switzerland to stay with cara at her future mother in laws place. it was so much fun to play uno (and win win win!) with her and jt. good times. shes a real nice gal. after 2 days there, i went to marseille -but then went directly to gap. i spent new years with vero, ruth lise, christian, and david in the mountains. it was so beautiful. we hiked, talked, ate and played pictionary. it made me really miss last year. then i went to marseille and shopped, saw rachel, saw old firends for dinner at a freinds house, wandered around marseille, went to a movie, ate out a few more times and just had a really great time with everyone. then it was time to go. i went up to paris and met up with a tawainese christian friend and we went to church and spent the day together. it was so nice. then i was on my way out of france. 10 days, just like that! waaaaaay to fast.

now its the weekend and my tentative weekend plans are as follows:

clean, sleep, run, do misc things, go to the post office, go to the drug store, hang out, go to boxing class, go to church, go to lunch, maybe get my bike. ohhhh and study japanese read my bible, read a book im reading and watch the new greys anatomy.

so much to do in so little time.

have a good weekend wherever you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home